Headaches are an extremely common complaint in today’s society with up to 70% of the population reporting they experience them.
Common treatments include pain medication or anti-inflammatories, which may provide short term relief but fail to treat the source of the problem.
Whilst there are many different types of headaches, the most common is a cervicogenic headache (meaning coming from the neck). This is also called a tension headache. It’s a result of the strain being put on structures in the neck incorrectly and this may refer pain to the head, face and neck, leaving you with headache symptoms.
But how do you know if your headache is related to your neck? Common signs include:
- Your headache is associated with neck pain or stiffness
- You experience pain at the base of your skull, around your eyes or in your forehead
- You have a past history of poor posture or neck injury.
- Repeated neck movements or sustained positions in poor posture may trigger a headache (Long periods at the computer or reading a book in bed)
- You get relief by putting pressure on the base of your skull
- Paracetamol gives minimal relief
Quite often we just put up with these headaches because they don’t stop us from doing things, they just impact on how we feel doing things. They may result in decreased concentration, dizziness, and neck stiffness.
The good news is that Physiotherapy treatment for neck related headache is extremely effective and successful. Correct treatment will determine the underlying cause of the headache, eliminate your pain and ensure that you are aware of causative factors to help you remain headache free.
Our team treat neck related headaches daily and we get great results. If you are ready to get rid of your headaches forever, we are ready to help!! Give our clinic a call and let one of our experienced clinicians help become headache free.